I’ve been mulling over ideas for a more editorial styled piece for a while now and over the last few days, the idea and this drawing really came together. There were a lot of in the moment decisions made along the way for this one and I’m really happy with how they played in the drawing.
I didn’t do a sketch for this piece, just jumped in with what I had in my head and got to work. I don’t usually do that for even the simplest of drawings. Thankfully the drawing seemed to just work with me this time out!
I created this piece as a spot illustration assignment for an article on the new push to fully map the entirety of the human brain. I went through a few other ideas to final illustration to before getting here and this ended up being the one piece I was most happy with out of that set.
Brain issues are always of interest to me, with so many veterans suffering from debilitating emotional distress and disorders, this image hits home further than just the article. It’s a gnarled mess that is nearly impossible to untangle and make sense of. The focus of which will be slowly unraveling the complexities one by one until we’ve finally built up our understanding enough to have a full view of just how it’s all put together.
This assignment came down from a real client with a very disjointed explanation of the needs of the piece. In all the article/magazine/whatever they are planning to use for it seemed very focused on the addition of cuts to clean air and water acts to non-environmentally focused bills in congress.
From those emails I really felt a draw to explaining the congressional machine as part of the problem. In that a very doom and gloom feel came to me and came out on the page.
I really hope this piece is chosen for print, but mostly because I’m very confident in the strength of it and the clarity of message.
This piece was an editorial project I put together based around an article on the Libyan rebellion. It was still earlier in the conflict, I believe it was around the time of the fall of Tripoli. Things developed so quickly in the last few months it’s hard to tell what exactly was going on at the time I created this piece.
I was interested in playing with the line weight and style through this piece and developing a little more on my wash technique. This piece also made me realize that I needed to invest in some heavier paper/illustration board. After a chat with Sterling Hundley at SPX a week or so after finishing this, I went out and picked some up and it really helped with both my portrait and poster.